If you are like me, you make too many late nite runs to Taco Bell! I've found an easy way to recreate my favorite treat at home without much effort at all. Read on to see how I do it.
To copy Taco Bell's most famous burrito at home you first
must assemble the meaty foundation of many of the chain's
top selling products: The spiced ground beef. Toss it
and seven other tasty ingredients into a large flour tortilla
and fold using the same technique as taught to new recruits to
For the meat sauce:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 taco seasoning envelope
1/2 jar of salsa
For building the burrito:
1 16-ounce can refried beans
8 10-inch flour tortillas
1/2 cup enchilada sauce
3/4 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded lettuce
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 medium tomato, diced
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1. Microwave ground beef until brown. Drain put in crockpot.
2. Add the seasoning packet and 1/2 jar of salsa. Let this simmer all day on low or 1/2 a day on high. DO NOT ADD WATER! The longer it cooks the better it is.
I use a seperate square Gladware container to store all the cut up veggies, beans, sour cream and sauces. You can grab the whole stack out of the refrigerator and build a burrito in less than a minute!
3. Heat up the refried beans in a covered container in the microwave
set on high temperature for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
4. Place the flour tortillas on a plate and cover with plastic wrap.
Heat the tortillas for 30 to 45 seconds in the microwave on high
5. Build each burrito by first spreading about 1/4 cup of refried
beans on the center of a heated flour tortilla. Spread one-eighth
of the meat mixture over the beans, then pour about a tablespoon of
the enchilada sauce over the meat.
6. Stir the sour cream well, so that it is smoother, then spread
about 1 1/2 tablespoons onto the burrito. Arrange some of the
lettuce, cheese, tomato, and onion onto the tortilla, and then
you're ready to roll.
7. Fold the end of the tortilla closest to you over the filling
ingredients. Fold either the left or right end over next. Then
fold the top edge over the filling. You will be leaving one end
of the burrito open and unfolded. Repeat with the remaining
ingredients and serve immediately.
Makes 8 burritos.
Other uses for this crockpot dish
1. Makes a great topping for chili dogs. I just throw a pack of hotdogs in the crock and let them cook with the sauce.
2. Add cheese for a great tortilla dip.
3. Great baked potato topping.
4. Spoon over tortilla chips to make nachos.
5. Use to make french bread pizzas.